Sunday, June 19, 2016

Ireland and Scotland: hostels, tours, food and transport info for fellow backpackers


Ireland

The first couple days I stayed at Times Hostel in City Centre. It's not as clean as I would have liked and the lounge area is okay but not exactly "fun." People tend not to hang out there for the purpose of mingling, just to get out of their rooms. Overall it was safe, staff was friendly, and it seemed to attract good people.

I used Airlink 100 and the public bus line 16 for transport my first couple days in Dublin. Public bus is almost 3€ cheaper.

Eat at O'Neills for traditional Irish food.

Use train to get to Galway or Cork, the ride is gorgeous and not too expensive.

Kinlay at Galway is a great Hostel with a super friendly environment. They also offer day tours to Cliffs of Moher at only 15€.  Cork's Kinlay sucks and overlooks a cemetery. It's cheap as hell but if the toilets don't flush you're stuck in a stinky room for the night.

Visit St. Patrick's Cathedral but skip the Dublin Castle. It was boring.


Scotland

I stayed at Budget Backpackers at Cowgate in Edinburgh.

It was awesome. Clean, modern, full of great graffiti art, has lots of character even though it's obvious they are catering to a college age crowd.  They have a full bar, restaurant and spacious rooms. Stay there. Totally affordable too.

Transportation to get there was via Airlink.  Buy your ticket right next to the stop.

Take the day tour to Lochness, Inverness and Pitlochry. Totally worth it.  It's so gorgeous you'll cry.

Hang out on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Touristy as hell but it's still full of great stuff.  St. Giles is the best part. Eat traditional Scottish food at The Royal Mile on The Royal Mile.  Hang out at Ghillie Dhu's for traditional Scottish dancing on Friday nights (I didn't get to dance but there was a great band playing American music downstairs - American is not my cup of tea when in Edinburgh, but it was nice to get a little piece of home while being so far away).


Note: all of the hostels I stayed at are under 30€ and offer free breakfast and free wifi. 

Visit my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/samiranoorali for pics

No comments:

Post a Comment